Wednesday, April 14, 2010

11. The Bluest Eye

"The white race originally possesed the monopoly of beauty, intelligence and strength"- Gobineau

I liked this quotation because in a way it summarizes the idea of our novel. In this novel, there is a white doll which symbolizes beauty of whites. Claudia tries to destroy the doll because she also wants to look like that doll or she can't accept the unfairness(black=ugliness, whites=beauty). In addition to that, Pecola also prays for blue eyes. She wants a different appearence and even to reach the beauty of white girls. Thus, "white race originally posses the monopoly of beauty". Besides, Rosemary Villanucci is the white neighbour of MacTeers. She eats bread and she is rich. She is superior than black MacTeers and that's why Claudia beats Rosemary. So, "white race posses the monopoly of strength". These are some examples out of the story in further chapters I will try to cover racism a bit more deeply. I hope you liked the relation with the quotation and story:)


FIND THE DIFFERENCE(?!)

Retrieved from,
http://www.historyandnostalgia.com/dolls/images/TY001006.jpg

OR


Retrieved from,
http://www.asiacouriers.com/worldwide/i/pics/doll.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I can't help but to say this: I think both dolls are ugly!!
    I never really liked dolls, actually. I just do not get how an object could replace a human being. At least, I do not like the idea of it.
    The society shapes a lot of concepts like beauty. I hate it when some people judge others just depending on their face, clothes, and makeup. I think it is a good heart that makes one beautiful.
    That being said, my friend, I would like to say that you're beautiful ;) Remember this when you feel down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment honey:) My beautiful friend, beauty comes from our heart:) But everyone is not lucky as we are:( Look at poor Pecola she also could not define "love":( (unlike us)

    Lots of loves,
    Simge:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I really like the way you integrated Gobineau's hypothesis into our story...in fact it is mentioned a bit further on in the novel..

    And I totally agree with Hazal.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazal:D Your hatred of dolls made me laugh..

    And yes, blacks are seen ugly. however, just being ugly is not enogh to segregate someone, which is committed towards blacks. I think people discriminate them for various reasons.

    I also think that our black steretypes has been changing with black singers. They hvae been more and more on TVs and Music Awards nights, so I see a positive change here. At least hardly a white could sing as well as a black:D:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll link this one to our wiki as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Simge and yes, I agree with you. Pecola isn't as lucky.. I wish it wasn't like that, but I cannot change the novel X(
    Hehehehe^^I guess my comment on dolls was a bit too strong but as long as everyone's happy, I'm good :)(Yet I still do not like them!!)

    ReplyDelete