Friday, December 11, 2009

17. Racism


Retrieved, December 11, 2009 from:
http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//8000/600/50/8/8658.jpg

"The man who was almost a man" is a story which is both related with gender and racism. Racism is not obviously mentioned by the author(R.Wright)but you can feel racism out of some sentences in the story and Dave's reactions. I will talk about this subject more in detail in my further posts. But before that, i want to share something about racism which i read about and impressed a lot. It is an effective and funny criticism on racism.
Here it is:

When i'm born i'm black,when i grow up i'm black!
When i go in the sun i'm black,when i feel cold i'm black!
When i'm scared i'm black!
When i'm sick i'm black!
When i'm dead im still black
BUT YOU WHITE MAN
When you're born you're pink
When you grew up you are white!
When you go in the sun you are red
When you feel cold you're blue!
When you 're scared you are yellow,when you're sick you're green!
When you die you're grey!
And you dare call me coloured!

Retrieved from,
http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/famous/malcom_x/when_im_born_im_black_when_2041.

6 comments:

  1. Can you cite the source of this interesting "letter"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, i did it:) Thank you for warning me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed by the letter. I really am. How could you manage to find these kind of interesting things Simge. Nice work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the letter Simge :)and the photograph of children also so sweet. They look like a white and bitter choclate.I think I'd like to eat them :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because, this is Simge Nicework(güzeliş):p I am happy to see my post getting attention. Thank you for your comment Begum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meltem nice to see you in my blog:) I agree with you, they are so sweet like chocolates:) and these chocolates are also giving us messages.
    Did you read the message under the photo?
    Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their colour...

    Thanks for your comment:)

    ReplyDelete